What's the saying, "If you keep doing what you're doing you'll keep getting what you got"?I've now attended two of Representative Brady's Town Hall Meetings and watched two on video and I can tell you we're going to keep getting the same old song and dance from Representative Brady. I can attest to the fact that he has this presentation down to a fine art and the "plants" in the audience are dedicated. "Joe", who stands up and calls President Obama Hitler and a Nazi, sat on the row in front of me for both meetings I attended. There is always the 1) "socialized medicine is evil" plant , 2) "most uninsured are just irresponsible" plant [my friend who ate and exercised responsibly and had a heart attack at 44 and was dropped by his insurance company was responsible!], 3) "keep the Government out of my pocket" plant [by an elderly person on Medicare!], etc. At the Creighton Theater a woman on the front row stood up and said she would leave and give her seat to others wanting in, but first she wanted us to know that Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution said the Government could not legislate health care, and she turned and left. Fortunately, we Dems happened to have a copy of the Constitution with us, and healthcare is not mentioned in Article 1, Section 8 or any other part of the Constitution. However, it does state in Article 1, Section 8 and in the Preamble of the Constitution that Congress shall "provide for the general welfare of the United States."
When called upon at the Bells of Montgomery Town Hall meeting, I stated that Representative Brady had been in Congress many years, referred in his speech to 4 Republican Health Care Reform bills, and that his party had been in control of Washington for the last eight years, yet we don't have health care reform. I suggested that he go back to Washington and pass health care reform for ALL Americans. There were negative noises around the room as I spoke, but he asked them to allow dialog. And, of course, Representative Brady said he'd go back and pass health care reform, but not this bill. It's clear this "Mr. No" is for "status quo".
Also, after meeting with Congressman Brady on August 6, 2009 as a proponent of single payer health care and hearing his comments after our presentation ("So everyone at this table is for single payer and not for what is coming out of Washington"), I fear that saying I’m for single payer health care may be construed as being against the health care legislation coming out of Congress. That is NOT my intention. I support immediate health care reform, although I believe a single payer system is the most cost effective system and covers everyone. With our current health care system and the numbers of uninsured mounting, we cannot afford to wait another 10 – 15 years for reform. I suggest we not waste our time trying to carry dead weight with us as we head toward this worthy goal - Healthcare for ALL Americans.

""keep the Government out of my pocket" plant [by an elderly person on Medicare!], etc."
ReplyDeleteI was the person who made this comment at the Kevin Brady Town Hall and I'm most assureadly NOT a PLANT by anybody!! I even had trouble finding out when and where the meeting was supposed to be. I finally did find out, and had a piece of poster board in my home office and a magic marker, so I made my own sign, paid for by ME, unlike YOUR signs which were obviously mass-produced by some unidentified astroturfed "group". My sign said:
"To the government:
I make
My OWN signs
my OWN decisions
BUTT OUT!"
And I meant every word of it. You see, I don't have to be told what to think by the government, or any union thugs or organization. I am NOBODY"S PLANT. I came to this meeting as a FREE AMERICAN, a sixth generation Texan whose ancestors fought for freedom at the Come and Take It battle of the Texas Revolution, and I intend to remain a free and independent person who speaks her mind as is my constitutuional right.
I am on medicare, my money, that I paid for all the many years I have worked and at 66 my husband and I still work running the small business we have operated in Montgomery County for 39 years. I spoke from my heart, with my own mind and my opinion and was in no way a "plant" of any kind.
Now, after the meeting a REAL plant came up to me, practically chased me down and got in my face ( wasn't it the President who urged his "plants" to "get in their faces"?) and with wild-eyed anger and a curled lip dripping with venom, demanded of me "did I want to LOSE my medicare"?
I answered that it was my money I was getting back that I paid in, and would happily lose it if I could simply get it ALL back and pay my own way for everything. The extremely hateful woman( who frankly looked a LOT more "elderly" than I do,) looked shocked, as if to think keeping your own money and paying as you go instead of giving it first to the government to waste half of. was some sort of shocking idea
I told her I paid for my own sign and asked her who paid for hers, obviously one of those mass-produced signs by some ASTROTURF group, and she didn't have the guts to answer me.
So, this PLANT comment is a LIE. I am no plant, nobody's shill, and I do NOT need the government involved in my decision- making for my personal life. Tell YOUR organizations who wish to control my freedom that this "elderly" person is an independent cussed Texas free thinker and to take their socialism and keep it in Cuba. Montgomery Country demonstrated loud and clear it isn't welcome here at that town hall, and the 500 plus who joined me there, coming on their own and voicing their OWN opinions, overwhelmingly against more government spending and control are no "plants".
I made a video 'Kevin Brady misleads Americans on Health Care' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HL5WKL31JA
ReplyDeleteI participated in one of his conference calls and was outraged with the misinformation and scare tactics he is using on his gullible constituents. He is not an honorable man.