The Montgomery County Democratic Party opened its headquarters on Sunday, celebrating with a potluck holiday party. The place was packed out with local Democrats, old and new.
MCDP Chair Adrienne Cadik recalled the 2008 headquarters fondly when she said, "it wasn't just a political headquarters, it was a community gathering place...I'm hoping this place will be the same and people will just stop in anytime." It was a headquarters that I remember fondly as well. I helped set up our Election Night Watch Party there and I will never forget the electric vibe that pulsed through the crowd that night as we watched results on twin projectors screens. When Wolf Blitzer announced President-Elect Barack Obama, the euphoria was palpable.
While that sort of energy isn't expected to exist in 2010, the feeling was starting to return as Democrats socialized and had a good time. The food was aplenty and the mood was upbeat. As I walked around the room, I heard conversations ranging from the upcoming Governor's race to Afghanistan. Montgomery County is in a unique position in this Governor's race. Houston Mayor Bill White is very popular here and he was the keynote speaker at the MCDP Spring Fundraiser. Local Democrats also hosted a fundraising event attended by the Mayor's wife, Andrea in August. On the other side, White's principal challenger in the race is Farouk Shami, a longtime resident of The Woodlands. When Adrienne Cadik made mention of the two candidates during her speech, each candidate received equal applause. If Shami stays in the race, Montgomery County promises to be at the forefront of the primary race.
All in all, this event was a success. Many folks worked hard over the past few weeks to get this headquarters in working order; moving, painting, plumbing, and decorating. It's a true testament to teamwork.
If you weren't able to make it out, check this out:
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete